Compliance Request Procedure
Please follow the steps outlined below to request copyright permissions each semester:
- Prepare course materials with the assistance of department course coordinator, TLT or independently.
- Create a bibliography of materials to include with your submission.
- Complete a KUMC Copyright Permissions Request Form for each course. Include citations or attach a bibliography with your submission.
As you prepare course reserve requests, please keep the following in mind:
- Bibliographies need only include course reserve materials; please do not submit a syllabus
- Please submit all course reserve materials, including materials from the Dykes Library electronic collection; all of this content is subject to license restrictions
- Some publishers are particularly slow to respond due to the overwhelming number of requests they receive from institutions; content will not be posted until permission is received
- Publishers allow utilization of their materials as course reserves for limited time periods, therefore, we seek permissions to use reserve documents for the length of the course and we enter into agreements with publishers that such documents will be restricted to faculty and students of the course, placed in a secure, password-protected course management system, and removed when the session ends. It is not within copyright compliance to systematically keep full text content for re-use, even if you notify this office that you want to use materials again and we pay the permissions or claim fair use. The content has to be removed and re-posted each semester
- Requests are processed on a first come, first served basis; additional requests for the same course that are received after the deadline will incur a minimum of a one week turnaround time depending on workload
Schedule for submitting course reserve materials
ELECTRONIC COURSE RESERVE MATERIALS:
The Course Reserves staff will seek permissions, notify the faculty/course coordinator, and post content electronically to the Ares Course Reserves system in Blackboard. (see Distribution)
PRINT COURSE PACKS:
The Course Reserves staff will seek permissions and the faculty/course coordinator will arrange for printing and distribution of the materials to students. (see Distribution)
IMAGES / TABLES / DIGITAL MEDIA:
The focus of the KUMC Course Reserves Office is on materials utilized as readings for instructional purposes. Compliance regarding images, graphics, tables, charts, text, etc. embedded within teaching modules, lecture notes, or presentations will also go through the submission process outlined above.
Jun 24, 2014