Study Spaces in the Library
Several seating areas, desks and computers are available on the ground and first floor of the library. Library features include individual study carrels with power outlets, lighting, and some dual monitors/computer accessories. Wireless access for laptops and other devices is also available throughout the library.
Quiet study areas
The open area of the first floor of the library is a quiet study area. Study space on this floor is set aside for reading, solo computer work and other quiet tasks. See our cell phone policy here.
Stationery treadmill and bike desks are available for use and are located in the northwest corner on the first floor of the library.
Group study rooms
Group study rooms are available on the first floor of the library.
We have a total of five large study rooms that accommodate 6-8 people. Amenities for large study rooms include 2 computers, 1 mobile 46” display, 2 whiteboards, dry erase markers and eraser, and 2 small tables with 8 chairs.
We have a total of six small study rooms that accommodate 2-4 people. Amenities for small study rooms include 1 computer, 1 mounted 42” display, 2 whiteboards, dry erase markers and eraser, and 1 small table with 4 chairs.
Use of study rooms in the library is restricted to current faculty, staff and students of KU Medical Center.
Dykes Library Study Room Policy
- Rooms may be booked for two sessions totaling four hours per day.
- Students can reserve a study room one day in advance. Faculty, researchers, or students working on unusually complex collaboration projects requiring additional scheduling options may book further in advance by contacting Dykes staff.
- If a room is empty and has no reservation, you're free to use it and/or make an immediate reservation. If there's a no-show, after 20 minutes we'll reserve the room for you.
- You can remain in a study room indefinitely past scheduled time but will be asked to vacate if it is needed by others.
- Personal belongings should not be left unattended in study rooms. The library isn't responsible for any lost or stolen items. Lockers for temporary storage are available on the ground floor for a refundable deposit of $0.50.
- Return the study room to the state you found it in. Move furniture back in place, plug equipment back in, and clean up any trash. Anti-bacterial wipes are available at stations throughout the library.
- Study Rooms must be vacated, along with one's belongings, during designated hours to allow Housekeeping to clean and sanitize the rooms.
May 13, 2015