We are pleased to announce the addition of five new databases and several new journal titles in 2019. These products have been requested numerous times over the years by our library community.New Databases
- Breastfeeding Medicine
- Hospital Practice
- Journal of Experimental Medicine
- Journal of Health Care Finance
- Journal of the American Society of Nephrology
- The FASEB Journal
- The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine
- The Journal of Rheumatology
The library jointly licenses titles wherever appropriate with our main campus in Lawrence. As such, decisions from main campus can sometimes affect our collection. Please see here for KU Libraries Content Budget Update. With publisher yearly increases ranging from 4% to 9%, a joint decision was made to move to an individual title selection model and exit the big deal packages with Wiley and Oxford. Cancellation decisions are based on cost and usage analysis. We are retaining many high use titles from Wiley and Oxford.
The Wiley and Oxford cancellations are still under negotiation. We will post a cancellation title list once we have a signed license agreement. Until then, current package titles remain accessible.
Our electronic resource collection costs increase at a rate between 4% and 9% annually while our budget has remained flat. We have reached the point where we cannot continually renew library resources at the rate increases publishers are demanding. As of January 1, 2018, the following journals are no longer available through A. R. Dykes Library. More information will follow starting Spring 2018 when we start the FY19 budget process.
Karger Journal Package – Journal Titles not renewed
American Journal of Nephrology Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism Cardiology Cerebrovascular Diseases Digestive Diseases European Neurology Gerontology Hormone Research in Paediatrics Neonatology Nephron Neurodegenerative Diseases Neuroendocrinology Neuroepidemiology Oncology Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics Respiration Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
- Springer – Journal Titles not renewed
Canadian Journal of Anesthesia/Journal canadien d'anesthésie Digestive Diseases and Sciences International Urogynecology Journal Journal of Bioethical Inquiry Pediatric Nephrology World Journal of Surgery
- Health Business Elite
- There is significant overlap in this database and another database we continue to have access to, Business Source Premier. We will retain Harvard Business Review through Business Source Premier found here.
- Springer Journals
- Faculty of 1000 Prime
- As of Jan. 1, 2017, Faculty of 1000 Prime will no longer be available through the A.R Dykes Library collection. Increased costs and low usage have driven the decision to cancel this life science literature alert tool. Faculty of 1000 Prime does not contain full text articles outside of the A.R. Dykes Library collection and so no full text content will be lost due to this cancellation.
The need to work with the KU-Lawrence campus and jointly license content wherever possible is a useful reminder of the importance of the commitment to open access that we share on both campuses. Dykes Library is committed to serving the evolving needs of scholars, students and instructors and we appreciate your continued support.
We understand that the libraries' resources are vital for the work you do and we will continue to approach this situation in a thoughtful and transparent way. Faculty, staff, and students can request unavailable articles through our interlibrary loan service with turnaround time usually within 24 hours.